There are many reasons that people consider taking CBD. Some use CBD to ease the symptoms of a chronic illness like anxiety, arthritis, epilepsy or diabetes. Others use CBD as a daily nutritional supplement to improve health and general wellness.
Whatever your personal reason for using CBD, it’s important to realize that while CBD has many beneficial properties, it is only one part of a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle is based on three pillars: a healthy diet, daily exercise, and a personalized regimen of supplements like CBD.
Fight Against Inflammation
Chronic inflammation is a key risk factor in many chronic health issues and several major diseases that continue to increase in our modern society. Lifestyle factors like stress, poor diet, and lack of exercise can result in chronic inflammation. These behaviors cause the immune system to become activated and release chemicals meant to combat threats like injury or infection even when there are no injuries or infection to fight off.
While CBD and its anti-inflammatory properties can help ease the symptoms of chronic disease, it does not address the cause. Our food choices have a large influence on the level of inflammation in our bodies. By developing a healthy diet, we can curb chronic inflammation and help prevent or reverse many chronic conditions.
Research suggests that people with a high intake of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, healthy oils, and fish may have a reduced risk for inflammation-related diseases. In addition, substances found in some foods (especially antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids) appear to possess anti-inflammatory effects.
Diet Tips for CBD Oil
There are many anti-inflammatory diets that are popular right now like ketogenic, paleo, and Mediterranean. All of these popular diets share an emphasis on natural, whole foods high in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids along with the reduction of sugar and processed refined grains and carbohydrates.
Studies have shown that these high glycemic index foods can dramatically increase inflammation. A healthy diet begins with the avoidance of sugary drinks, refined grains and carbohydrates, desserts and processed snack foods.
Foods to Eat
Foods high in antioxidants include:
- Dark green, leafy vegetables (such as kale, spinach, and collard greens)
- Sweet potatoes
- Nuts (such as walnuts, almonds, pecans, and hazelnuts)
- Beans (such as red beans, pinto beans, and black beans)
- Whole grains (such as oats and brown rice)
Treats high in antioxidants include:
- Berries (such as blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
- Dark chocolate (at least 85 percent cocoa)
Foods high in Omega-3 fatty acids include:
- Oily fish (such as salmon, herring, mackerel, sardines, and anchovies)
- Omega-3-fortified foods (including eggs and milk)
Foods to Include (but minimize)
Many animals-based fats, like omega-6 fatty acids, are known to increase the body’s production of inflammatory chemicals and should be minimized. These foods are vital to help maintain bone health, regulate metabolism and promote brain function so they should not be eliminated. A balance of omega-6 fatty acids, omega-3 fatty acids, and anti-inflammatory supplements like CBD can keep inflammation in check.
Foods high in omega-6 fatty acids include:
- Meat (organic and grass-fed)
- Eggs (organic and free range)
- Dairy products (such as organic, pasture-raised milk, cheese, and butter)
Food to Avoid
- Sugary drinks (soda, “sport” drinks, “energy” drinks)
- Refined carbohydrates (white bread, pasta, white rice)
- Processed snack foods
Tips and Suggestions
- Eat five to nine servings of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables each day.
- Always get organic, non-GMO products when possible.
- Instead of vegetable oils, opt for oils like olive oil or avocado oil.
- Instead of choosing refined grains, opt for fiber-rich whole grains like oats, quinoa, and brown rice. If you must eat bread and pasta, make sure it has a whole grain as the first ingredient.
- Practice an intermittent fasting eating schedule.
Healthy Lifestyle Choices Can Magnify CBD Benefits
Choosing a variety of delicious, antioxidant-rich foods can help curb inflammation in combination with exercise and a personalized routine of supplements like CBD. CBD oil is excellent for many of its users at improving general wellness and hormone regulation.
When practiced together, these healthy lifestyle choices have a cumulative effect and magnify the benefits of CBD. They can also improve inflammation markers and possibly reduce the risk of many illnesses. Please seek advice from your doctor or medical professional before you make any changes to your diet or lifestyle.