Dry mouth, also known as cottonmouth, is a symptom commonly associated with the use of marijuana. But can hemp-derived CBD oil cause dry mouth as well? And if so, what can you do about it?
Why Does CBD Cause Dry Mouth?
THC is far more likely to cause dry mouth compared to CBD. But CBD may not be exempt from this side effect. A minor study done in 2006 suggests that the used of cannabinoids, such as THC and CBD, may play a role in inhibiting saliva production.
It’s unclear from this study whether CBD on its own would yield the same results, and more research is needed. But we have heard from many users of hemp-derived CBD oils who report dry mouth as a side effect.
What Can I Do About Dry Mouth Caused by CBD?
Cottonmouth can be unpleasant. Preventing it from happening in the first place is always the ideal choice. But combating it when it does happen after the fact can be inevitable. Here are some tips for both:
- Chew gum – Chewing gum, especially those containing xylitol, can stimulate saliva production.
- Stay hydrated – Drink plenty of water both before, during, and after your CBD use.
- Use a hydrating mouthwash – Mouthwashes specifically for dry mouth can typically be found over-the-counter at a local pharmacy or grocery store.
- Try a different method – You may find that you do not have the same side effects if you switch to a different method of using CBD. For example, you can try gummies or capsules rather than the sublingual drops.
- Try a different product – The carrier oil, terpenes, and other ingredients in a specific product can all influence your reaction to it. If you find the dry mouth unbearable, consider trying a different product or brand before giving up on CBD