What are CBD Gummies?
CBD gummies are a tasty and convenient way to take CBD. These CBD-infused edibles typically contain between 5-50 milligrams of CBD in each gummy so dosing is easy and straightforward. CBD gummies are currently the preferred method of taking CBD for about 10% of users. But their popularity has been increasing and is leading more companies to add gummies to their line of products.
CBD (short for cannabidiol) is one of at least 113 chemical compounds known as cannabinoids that are found in the cannabis plant. Hemp-derived CBD gummies are federally legal in the United States and won’t get you “high” since they contain little or no THC.
Why Use CBD Gummies?
The 3 most popular reasons that users prefer CBD gummies to other ways of taking CBD are:
- Taste. Most CBD products, and full spectrum tinctures in particular, have a very “natural, earthy” taste. While some don’t mind or even like the natural flavor, others find the taste to be unbearable. In contrast, most CBD gummies are specially formulated with fruit flavors to taste great.
- Convenience. Gummies are unquestionably the easiest way to take CBD. You consume them just like a normal gummy bear. Just pop a CBD gummy into your mouth and chew. They are much easier and more convenient than holding drops under your tongue or needing a drink to take a capsule.
- Easy dosing. Each CBD gummy has a defined amount of CBD in it. So it’s easy to know how many milligrams of CBD you are consuming. Unlike tinctures, there’s no need to calculate milligrams of CBD per drop and then count drops to get your desired dose.
How to Choose CBD Gummies for Your Needs
The good news is that you have a lot of options when buying CBD gummies online. But some of the terms used on websites selling these products can be confusing, especially for beginners. It’s important to know that there is no “best” brand or product for everyone. Our goal is to give you the information that you need to make the choice that best fits your needs. Start by answering these 3 questions:
- Do you want full spectrum CBD gummies or THC free gummies? The answer to this question may depend on whether you have drug testing concerns. While there is some risk of testing positive on a drug test with any CBD product, the chances are lower with products without THC.
- How many milligrams of CBD do you want in each gummy? Most people start out at lower doses and increase slowly as needed until they get the desired effect. CBD gummies are available in different strengths that typically range from 10 – 50mg of CBD per gummy. You can also always cut a higher strength gummy into smaller pieces to adjust dosage for your needs.
- Do you have dietary preferences? Some CBD gummies are vegan or gluten-free whereas others are not. We also highly recommend that you read the ingredients list of any product that you are interested in to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
CBD Gummies Reviews
- Broad spectrum (THC free), 100% organic, non-GMO, gluten-free and vegan
- Flavors: orange, strawberry, raspberry and tropical
- Strength: choice of 10mg, 25mg or 50mg of CBD per gummy
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Free shipping on orders over $79.95 to all 50 U.S. states
cbdMD gummies are our Editor’s Pick because they score high on all of our evaluation criteria. This includes product quality, taste, price, and customer reviews.
We also love the fact that they have three potency choices, including high-potency 50mg CBD gummies. The 300mg bottle includes 30 gummies with 10mg of CBD each. It’s a perfect starting product for beginners who want to see if CBD gummies are a good option for them. For those who find that they need a higher strength CBD gummy, the 25mg gummies and 50mg gummies are also great choices.
The cbdMD gummies are made from their proprietary broad spectrum hemp extract. So they are THC free but include other cannabinoids and terpenes in addition to CBD. They are also gluten-free and vegan for those with those dietary preferences.
Ingredients: CBD, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Organic Cane Sugar, Water, Pectin, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Organic Fruit And Vegetable Juice (For Color), Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Malic Acid, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Carnauba Wax.
20% off with code CBDOILUSERS at checkout
- Pure CBD isolate (THC free), gluten-free, allergen-free, vegan and kosher
- Flavors: raspberry-lemon, raspberry and strawberry
- Strength: 30mg per gummy
- Free shipping on orders over $75 to all 50 U.S. states
If you’re looking for the best value in CBD gummies, then look no further than CBDistillery. Their $55 bottle has 25 gummies with 30 milligrams of CBD each. That’s a total of 750 milligrams of CBD. That price of less than $0.07 per milligram makes them the best value on the market.
At 30mg of CBD per gummy, the CBDistillery gummies are also one of the highest strength products on the market. They look like gummy bears and customer reviews most often mention liking the fact that they are gluten-free, vegan and only contain one gram of sugar per gummy.
CBDistillery also offers Night Time gummies that have a similar formulation to the regular gummies but also have 2mg of melatonin in each CBD gummy.
Ingredients: CBD, Tapioca Syrup, Sugar, Water, Pectin, Natural Flavors, Sodium Citrate Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Fruit and Vegetable Juice (Color), Tapioca Starch.
15% off with code CBDOILUSERS or 25% off orders over $125 with code CBDUSERS25
- Full spectrum (includes up to 0.3% THC)
- Flavors: assorted fruit flavors
- Strength: choice of 10mg or 20mg of CBD per gummy
- Free shipping on all orders (U.S. only)
Full spectrum CBD gummies aren’t easy to find. Most of the gummies on the market have zero THC even though they may be marketed as full spectrum. Highland Pharms gummies are the best full spectrum option that we’ve come across based on product quality, taste and customer reviews.
Highland Pharms gummies are truly full spectrum based on independent third party lab testing. They have an array of cannabinoids and terpenes in addition to CBD, including trace amounts of THC to create the “entourage effect.” You also get to choose between 10mg or 20mg gummy strengths depending on your specific needs.
Ingredients: Full Spectrum Hemp Extract, Organic Glucose Syrup (from wheat), Organic Cane Sugar, Pectin, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Natural Flavors, and Natural Colors (organic concentrated apple, organic carrot, organic pumpkin, organic black currant).
20% off with code FIRSTTIME20 at checkout
- Pure CBD Isolate (0% THC), 100% natural, non-GMO and vegan
- Flavors: cherry, lemon, strawberry, grape, and orange
- Strength: 25mg of CBD per gummy
- Free shipping on orders over $89 to all 50 U.S. states
If taste and price are top priorities for you, then Fab CBD’s gummies (they call them chews) are definitely worth a look. They are THC-free, all-natural and vegan. Their also on the higher end of strength with 25mg of CBD in each gummy.
Ingredients: CBD, Organic Cane Sugar, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Organic Grape Juice Concentrate, Pectin, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Colors Added (Black Carrot Juice Concentrate, Organic Turmeric, Organic Annatto), and Natural Flavors.
20% off with code CBDOILUSERS at checkout
- Full Spectrum (up to 0.3% THC) + Melatonin
- Flavor: raspberry
- Strength: 5mg of CBD per gummy
- Price: $54.99 for 60 count ($0.92 per gummy)
- Free shipping on U.S. orders over $75; also ships internationally
Charlotte’s Web sleep gummies are made from their proprietary whole-plant hemp extract. They are full spectrum and contain over 80 naturally-occurring cannabinoids plus terpenes. The sleep gummies each contain 5mg of CBD and 1.5mg of melatonin per gummy to support restful sleep.
Suggested serving size is 2 CBD gummies taken at night. So a total of 10mg of CBD and 3mg of melatonin per suggested serving.
CW also has 2 other CBD gummy options. “Calm” gummies are formulated to support relaxation and stress relief. “Recovery” gummies are designed to support health inflammatory response and promote joint strength.
Ingredients: Full Spectrum Hemp Extract (including CBD), Melatonin, Tapioca Syrup, Beet Sugar, Fructooligosaccharides (FOS), Water, Natural Flavors, MCT Oil, Pectin, Organic Fruit and Vegetable Juice, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate Dihydrate, Organic Sunflower Lecithin, Tapioca Starch
15% off with code CBDUSERS at checkout
How did you choose the CBD gummies on this list?
We first created a shortlist of safe and reputable brands who include CBD gummies in their product line. We then tried the products ourselves and did extensive research. Our research included getting direct feedback from current users of each product in our Facebook groups. Each of the brands on our list meet or exceed our high standards, including:
- Third party lab reports readily available on their website or by request
- User-friendly website and online ordering process
- Consumer transparency and truthfulness in any marketing claims
- Fair pricing and customer service practices
- Responsiveness to customer issues
What are common CBD gummies effects?
Some gummies are specially formulated for sleep by including melatonin in their ingredients list. But generally, there are not specific conditions for which CBD gummies are the best delivery method. Similar to other CBD products, people are taking gummies for a variety of reasons including anxiety, depression, chronic pain, inflammation and insomnia to name just a few.
Will CBD gummies work for you? It’s impossible to know the answer to that question before trying them yourself. The effect of CBD is highly individualized since everyone has a unique endocannabinoid system, health condition and other factors. What works for someone else may not work at all for you. Users should expect for there to be some trial and experimentation to find the brand, product and delivery method that works best for them.
How do CBD gummies compare to other ways of taking CBD?
As mentioned above, the top benefits of gummies compared to other delivery methods are taste, convenience and easy dosing. The downside of gummies is that they have lower bioavailability than other popular methods such as tinctures and vaping. This means that less of the product actually gets absorbed into your bloodstream. Since gummies are an edible, they have to go through your digestive system where some of the CBD is lost prior to absorption. So if you’re switching from sublingual drops to gummies, it’s likely that you’ll need to take more milligrams to achieve the same effective dosage.
Gummies take longer to take effect than tinctures or vaping. Whereas sublingual drops and vaping enter the bloodstream within a few minutes, it typically takes between 30 minutes and an hour for the CBD in gummies to take effect. Lastly, the price of gummies is typically slightly higher than sublingual drops on a per milligram of CBD basis. The price difference is larger if you incorporate the impact of bioavailability. The bottom line is that you can expect to pay more to use gummies compared to tinctures or vape liquids.
CBD Gummies Dosage Tips
The product label will tell you how many milligrams of CBD are in each gummy. This is the “strength” or “potency” of your particular product. Potency can vary widely across brands but is generally in a range of between 5-50 milligrams of CBD in each CBD gummy. It’s important to know how many milligrams of CBD are in each gummy so that you can find the dosage or serving size that works best for you.
Important point: the optimal serving size is different for each person. Some experimentation is typically necessary to find the dosage that is right for you. Our recommendation is that you “start low and increase slow” to find your personal sweet spot dosage. Start with one 5mg or 10mg gummy and wait at least one hour. If you feel no effects, then consider taking another one and repeat this process until you get the desired results. If you purchased higher potency CBD gummies (25-30mg) you can still use the ‘”low and slow” method to find your optimal dosage. Just cut the gummies into smaller pieces. For example, a 30mg gummy can be cut in half to effectively make two 15mg pieces or into quarters to make four 7.5mg pieces.
After a day or two of using this dosing technique, you’ll have a good idea of how many milligrams that you need. You can then move to more of a regular schedule for taking them and make any minor adjustments needed over time. Headaches and nausea are signs that you may have taken too much. If you experience those symptoms, you should stop taking additional CBD and consider lowering your serving size the next time.
Let us know what you think
We hope that our CBD Gummies Buyer’s Guide has been helpful for you and that it helps you find the product that is right for you. We’d love to hear about your experiences with CBD gummies in the comment section below. Best of luck in your CBD journey!