What are CBD Gummies?
If you’re looking for a tasty and convenient way to take CBD, gummies may be the perfect choice for you. These CBD-infused edibles typically contain between 10 -30 milligrams of CBD per gummy so dosing is easy and straightforward.
CBD (short for cannabidiol) is one of at least 113 chemical compounds known as cannabinoids that are found in the cannabis plant. Hemp-derived CBD gummies are federally legal in the United States and won’t get you “high” since they contain little or no THC.
Gummies are currently the preferred method of taking CBD for about 10% of users. But their popularity has been increasing and is leading more companies to add CBD gummies to their product line.
Why Use CBD Gummies?
The 3 most popular reasons that users prefer gummies to other ways of taking CBD are:
1. Taste. Most hemp-derived CBD oil products, and full spectrum tinctures in particular, have a very “natural, earthy” taste. While some don’t mind or even like the natural flavor, others find the taste to be unbearable. In contrast, most CBD gummies (and all of those on our recommended list) are specially formulated with fruit flavors to taste great.
2. Convenience. Gummies are unquestionably the easiest way to take CBD. You consume them just like a normal gummy bear. Just pop a gummy into your mouth, chew and swallow. Much easier and more convenient than holding drops under your tongue or needing a drink to take a capsule.
3. Easy dosing. Each gummy has a defined amount of CBD in it. So it’s easy to know how many milligrams of CBD you are consuming. Unlike tinctures, there’s no need to calculate milligrams of CBD per drop and then count drops to get your desired dose.
How to Select the Best CBD Gummies for Your Needs
The good news is that you have a lot of options when buying CBD gummies online. But some of the terms used on websites selling these products can be confusing, especially for beginners.
It’s important to know that there is no “best” brand or product for everyone. Our goal is to give you the information that you need to make the choice that best fits your needs.
Start by Answering These 3 Questions:
1. Do you want full spectrum gummies or gummies with 0% THC? The answer to this question may depend on whether you have drug testing concerns. While there is some risk of testing positive on a drug test with any CBD product, the chances are lower with products without THC.
2. How many milligrams of CBD do you want in each gummy? Most people start out at lower doses and increase slowly as needed until they get the desired effect. Gummies are available in different strengths that typically range from 10 – 30mg of CBD per gummy. You can also always cut a higher strength gummy into parts to adjust dosage for your needs.
3. Do you have dietary preferences? Some gummies are vegan or gluten-free whereas others are not. We also highly recommend that you read the ingredients list of any product that you are interested in to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
Best CBD Gummies of 2019 - Our Top 5 List
Editor’s Pick For Best CBD Gummies – cbdMD
- Broad spectrum (0% THC), 100% organic, non-GMO, gluten-free and vegan
- Flavors: orange, strawberry, raspberry and tropical
- Strength: choice of 10mg or 25mg of CBD per gummy
- Price: $29.99 for 30 count of 10mg gummies ($1 per gummy) and $59.99 for 30 count of 25mg gummies ($2 per gummy)
- Free shipping to all 50 U.S. states; 30-day money-back guarantee
cbdMD gummies are our Editor’s Pick because they score high on all of our evaluation criteria. This includes product quality, taste, price, and customer reviews.
We also love the fact that they have two potency choices. The 300mg bottle includes 30 gummies with 10mg of CBD per gummy is very reasonably priced at $29.99. It’s a perfect starting product for beginners who want to see if CBD gummies are a good option for them. For those who find that they need a higher strength gummy, the 25mg gummies in the 750mg bottle are also a great choice.
The cbdMD gummies are made from their proprietary broad spectrum hemp extract. So they have 0% THC but include other cannabinoids and terpenes in addition to CBD. They are also gluten-free and vegan for those with those preferences.
Ingredients: CBD, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Organic Cane Sugar, Water, Pectin, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Organic Fruit And Vegetable Juice (For Color), Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Malic Acid, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Carnauba Wax.
Best Value – CBDistillery
- Pure CBD isolate (0% THC), non-GMO and vegan
- Flavors: orange, lemon, cherry and strawberry
- Strength: 30mg per gummy
- Price: $60 for 30 count of 30mg gummies ($2 per gummy)
- Ships to all 50 U.S. states; free shipping on all orders over $75
If you’re looking for the best value in CBD gummies, then look no further than CBDistillery. Their $60 bottle has 30 gummies with 30 milligrams of CBD each. That’s a total of 900 milligrams of CBD. That price of less than $0.07 per milligram makes them the best value on the market.
At 30mg of CBD per gummy, the CBDistillery gummies are also one of the highest strength products on the market. They look like gummy bears and customer reviews most often mention liking the fact that they are vegan and only contain one gram of sugar per gummy.
CBDistillery also offers Night Time gummies that have a similar formulation to the regular gummies but also have 2mg of Melatonin per gummy.
Ingredients: CBD, Organic Glucose Syrup (wheat), Organic Cane Sugar, Pectin, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Natural Flavors, and Natural Colors (organic concentrated apple, organic carrot, organic pumpkin, and organic black currant).
Full Spectrum CBD Gummies – Highland Pharms
- Full spectrum (includes up to 0.3% THC)
- Flavors: assorted fruit flavors
- Strength: choice of 10mg or 20mg of CBD per gummy
- Price: $39.95 for 20 count of 10mg gummies ($2 per gummy) and $69.95 for 20 count of 20mg gummies ($3.50 per gummy)
- Free shipping to all 50 U.S. states
Full spectrum gummies aren’t easy to find. Most of the gummies on the market have 0% THC even though they may be marketed as full spectrum. Highland Pharms gummies are the best full spectrum option that we’ve come across based on product quality, taste and customer reviews.
Highland Pharms gummies are “true” full spectrum based on independent third party lab testing. They have an array of cannabinoids and terpenes in addition to CBD, including trace amounts of THC to create the “entourage effect.” You also get to choose between 10mg or 20mg gummy strengths depending on your specific needs.
Ingredients: Full Spectrum Hemp Extract, Organic Glucose Syrup (from wheat), Organic Cane Sugar, Pectin, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Natural Flavors, and Natural Colors (organic concentrated apple, organic carrot, organic pumpkin, organic black currant).
Best Flavor – Fab CBD Chews
- Pure CBD Isolate (0% THC), 100% natural, non-GMO and vegan
- Flavors: cherry, lemon, strawberry, grape, and orange
- Strength: 25mg of CBD per gummy
- Price: $59 for 30 count of 25mg gummies ($2 per gummy)
- Ships to all 50 U.S. states; free shipping on all orders over $89
If taste and price are top priorities for you, then Fab CBD’s gummies (they call them chews) are definitely worth a look. They are THC-free, all-natural and vegan. Their also on the higher end of strength with 25mg of CBD per gummy.
Ingredients: CBD, Organic Cane Sugar, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Organic Grape Juice Concentrate, Pectin, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Colors Added (Black Carrot Juice Concentrate, Organic Turmeric, Organic Annatto), and Natural Flavors.
Sleep Gummies – Hemp Bombs
- Pure CBD Isolate (0% THC)
- Flavors: assorted fruit flavors that are sweet and mildly sour
- Strength: 15mg of CBD per gummy
- Price: $14.99 for 5 count sample pack ($3 per gummy), $59.99 for 30 count ($2 per gummy) or $99.99 for 60 count ($1.67 per gummy)
- Free shipping on U.S. orders over $75; also ships internationally except Canada and UK
CBD gummies are the flagship product of Hemp Bombs. They recently introduced sleep gummies that are getting high marks from customers. Their sleep gummies have 15mg of CBD and 5mg of Melatonin per gummy.
Hemp Bombs also has regular CBD gummies in either 15mg or 25mg strengths. All of their gummies are 0% THC. Their gummy formulation is unique so be sure to review the ingredients list below to ensure they meet your needs.
For residents of countries outside the U.S., Hemp Bombs does ship internationally to most countries except Canada and the UK.
Ingredients: CBD, Melatonin, L-Theanine, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Gelatin, Citric Acid, Calcium Lactate, Silicon Dioxide, Natural & Artificial Flavors
How did you choose the best CBD gummies on this list?
We first created a shortlist of safe and reputable CBD brands who include gummies in their product line. We then tried the products ourselves and did extensive research. Our research included getting direct feedback from current users of each product in our CBD Oil Users Group on Facebook.
Each of the brands on our list meet or exceed our high standards, including:
- Third party lab reports readily available on their website or by request
- User-friendly website and online ordering process
- Consumer transparency and truthfulness in any marketing claims
- Fair pricing and customer service practices
- Responsiveness to customer issues
What are CBD gummies good for?
Some gummies are specially formulated for sleep by including melatonin in their ingredients list. But generally, there are not specific conditions for which CBD gummies are the best delivery method. Similar to other CBD products, people are taking gummies for a variety of reasons including anxiety, depression, chronic pain, inflammation and insomnia to name just a few.
Will CBD gummies work for you? It’s impossible to know the answer to that question before trying them yourself. The effect of CBD is highly individualized since everyone has a unique endocannabinoid system, health condition and other factors. What works for someone else may not work at all for you. Users should expect for there to be some trial and experimentation to find the brand, product and delivery method that works best for them.
How do gummies compare to other ways of taking CBD?
As mentioned above, the top benefits of gummies compared to other delivery methods are taste, convenience and easy dosing.
The downside of gummies is that they have lower bioavailability than other popular methods such as tinctures and vaping. This means that less of the product actually gets absorbed into your bloodstream. Since gummies are an edible, they have to go through your digestive system where some of the CBD is lost prior to absorption. So if you’re switching from sublingual drops to gummies, it’s likely that you’ll need to take more milligrams to achieve the same effective dosage.
Gummies also take longer to take effect than tinctures or vaping. Whereas sublingual drops and vaping enter the bloodstream within a few minutes, it typically takes between 30 minutes and an hour for the CBD in gummies to take effect.
Lastly, the price of gummies is typically slightly higher than sublingual drops on a per milligram of CBD basis. The price difference is larger if you incorporate the impact of bioavailability. The bottom line is that you can expect to pay more to use gummies compared to tinctures or vape liquids.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a naturally-occurring compound found in cannabis. It’s known for therapeutic properties and has no psychoactive effects. CBD oil is typically extracted from cannabis plants using either CO2 or ethanol extraction methods. It’s then incorporated into common CBD oil products, including tinctures (drops), vape liquids, gummies, capsules and topical creams and lotions. CBD oil derived from hemp has less than 0.3% THC so is federally legal in the U.S. and can be purchased online or in some local stores. CBD oil derived from marijuana has more than 0.3% THC so can only be purchased at licensed dispensaries in states where medical marijuana is legal.
Full Spectrum products include an array of cannabinoids and terpenes including CBD and up to 0.3% THC. Broad Spectrum products include CBD plus other cannabinoids and terpenes but 0% THC. Isolate products include only CBD (0% THC).
Read more in our educational article: Full Spectrum, Broad Spectrum & Isolate CBD Oil – What’s The Difference
There’s no “best” way to take CBD oil for everyone. Sublingual drops, vape liquids, gummies, capsules and topicals are the most popular delivery methods. Most users have to experiment with different methods to find what works best for them. Many users also take multiple different products simultaneously.
Read more in our educational article: What’s the Best Way to Take CBD Oil?
You should only use CBD oil products if you are willing to accept at least some risk of testing positive on a drug test. Not everyone who uses hemp-derived CBD oil tests positive. But it does happen. The risk of testing positive is lower if you’re using a broad spectrum or isolate product. These products have non-detectable levels of THC based on manufacturer testing.
Read more in our educational article: Will CBD Oil Make You Fail a Drug Test?
Hemp-derived CBD oil products were made federally legal in December 2018 with the signing of the 2018 Farm Bill. However, several states still have laws in place that restrict the sale and possession of these products. While most companies selling CBD oil are shipping to all 50 states, you should consult your local laws or an attorney in your area if you have concerns about legalities.
Read more in our educational article: Is CBD Oil Legal? Yes, Except When It Isn’t
Yes. There are known interactions with blood thinner medications in particular. Before starting to use any CBD product, you should consult with your physician if you are taking any prescription medications.
Read more in our educational article: Can CBD Oil Interact With Medications?
Most products labeled “hemp oil” do not contain any CBD. Those are typically hemp seed oil which are more commonly used for cooking or to make salad dressing. If you’re wanting to buy CBD oil, you’ll want to look for products that are labelled “CBD oil” or “hemp extract.” To confirm that a product you’re interested in has CBD in it, you’ll want to look at their third party lab reports. All reputable companies selling CBD oil products will make third party lab reports available to you to confirm the presence of CBD.
Read more in our educational article: What’s the Difference Between Hemp Oil and CBD Oil?
CBD oil is prohibited for sale by terms of service on the major online marketplaces, including Amazon, eBay and Groupon. Most of the products being sold as CBD oil on those websites are hemp seed oil and don’t contain any CBD. We’ve also heard many reports of counterfeit and potentially dangerous products being sold as CBD oil on those websites. Your best bet is to always buy directly from the CBD company’s official website.
Read more in our educational article: Can I Buy CBD Oil on Amazon?
It’s rare to get immediate results from taking CBD oil. For most, it takes a period of days or weeks to find the optimal serving size and effectively introduce CBD oil to their body. The ideal dosage and time to achieve effectiveness is highly individualized and often takes some experimentation and patience.
Read more in our educational article: How Long Does It Take CBD Oil to Start Working?
All safe and reputable CBD oil brands make third party lab reports readily available on their website or upon request. These reports detail the results of product testing by an accredited third party laboratory that specializes in cannabis testing. They give you great insight into which cannabinoids and terpenes are in the product and whether it passed tests for heavy metals, pesticides and other potentially dangerous ingredients.
Read more in our educational article: How To Ready CBD Oil Third Party Lab Reports