Gummies are a popular way of taking CBD because of their taste, convenience and easy dosing. You can buy CBD gummies from many of the safe and reputable brands that sell CBD products. But some users want to customize the taste, ingredients and potency for their specific needs. If this is true for you, then you may want to consider making your own CBD gummies.
In this article, we’ll show you how to make CBD gummies at home. Making them yourself with either CBD oil or isolate powder is probably easier than you think. In addition to an easy CBD gummy recipe, we’ll also discuss some of the questions that you’ll probably have such as how to know the amount of CBD in each gummy.
Why Make Your Own CBD Gummies?
There are 4 main reasons that some users decide to make their own CBD gummies.
- Taste – Some users purchase a bottle of CBD oil drops and just can’t stand the taste when taking them under their tongue. You can use that product as an ingredient for making CBD gummies that will taste great. The flavor of gelatin and other flavoring that you use will overwhelm most of the earthy taste of the tincture.
- You Want Full Spectrum CBD – If you’re looking for the synergistic benefits of whole-plant CBD, finding pre-made gummies that are truly full spectrum can be a challenge. Most of the commercially-available CBD gummies are either broad spectrum or isolate. That means they don’t have the trace amounts of THC found in hemp-derived full spectrum CBD products. So if you want your CBD gummies to have the benefits of the entourage effect, you can make your own using a full spectrum tincture.
- Save Money – Making your own gummies with CBD isolate powder is less expensive than buying pre-made CBD gummies. That’s because the price for pure isolate powder is about half the price of the pre-made tinctures. So you can save a significant amount of money by making isolate CBD gummies yourself.
- Customized for Your Needs – Best of all, you get to choose the flavors, potency and ingredients. So you can make them to suit your specific needs. You get to control how they will taste, how much CBD is in each gummy and what other additives are in the final product.
What You Need to Get Started
- Sauce pan or pot
- Small bowl
- Silicone gummy molds – these can be purchased locally or on Amazon
- Food thermometer
- Cookie sheet or baking pan
- 6 ounces of flavored gelatin mix (such as Jello)
- 5 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin mix
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of fruit juice
- 1 teaspoon of soy lecithin (acts as an emulsifier)
- Preferred amount of CBD oil drops (tincture) or CBD isolate powder
- Optional: flavoring drops (for a flavor boost), sugar, cornstarch, citric acid (for sourness)
How Much CBD Should I Add?
The amount of CBD that you should use depends on your desired potency of the final product. That is, how many milligrams of CBD do you want in each gummy? Most people make smaller gummy bears that each contain 5 or 10 milligrams of CBD. But the size of the gummies and their potency is really up to you.
You’ll need to do some simple math to calculate the amount of CBD to use in the recipe. First, decide how many milligrams of CBD that you want in each gummy. Then multiply that amount times the number of gummies that you’ll be making. This is the total number of milligrams of CBD that you should add to the recipe.
For example, say that you want to make 50 CBD gummies that have 10 milligrams of CBD in each gummy. In this case, you would add 500 milligrams of CBD in either oil or isolate powder form (50 gummies x 10 milligrams each).
If you’re using CBD oil drops, you’ll need to know the potency of the product you’ll be using. The CBD potency calculator on our dosage page can help you do that calculation. Once you know the potency of your tincture in milligrams per milliliter, just divide the total number of CBD milligrams desired by the potency. This is the number of milliliters of CBD oil to add to the mixture.
Continuing the example above, let’s say you want a total of 500 milligrams of CBD and you are using a CBD oil product with 50 milligrams of CBD per milliliter. In this case, you would use 10 milliliters of the CBD oil in the recipe (500 milligrams / 50 miligrams of CBD/ml). CBD oil potency can vary significantly by product so this is an important calculation to do if you want each gummy to have a specific amount of CBD.
VIEW OUR LIST OF RECOMMENDED CBD BRANDS
Easy CBD Gummy Recipe Instructions
- In a small bowl, mix the fruit juice and soy lecithin until thoroughly combined.
- In a saucepan, mix the dry ingredients together: flavored gelatin, unflavored gelatin and granulated sugar. Do not add heat yet.
- Add the fruit juice and soy lecithin mixture and to the saucepan and mix into the dry ingredients.
- Cover the saucepan and allow the mixture to sit unheated for about 20 minutes. This allows the gelatin to bloom.
- After the mixture has bloomed, start adding low heat. Start keeping track of the temperature of the mixture with a food thermometer.
- Heat gradually, with minimal stirring, until the mixture reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add in your CBD oil or isolate powder and flavoring drops, if desired. Mix thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour the contents into your gummy molds. The gummy molds can be coated in a light dusting of cornstarch, sugar or citric acid if desired.
- Place the molds in the refrigerator or freezer and allow the gummies to solidify.
- Check on the gummies after a few hours. Once they are firm you can remove the gummies from the molds. If desired, you can coat them in more cornstarch, sugar or citric acid to prevent them from sticking together.
Other Helpful Tips for Making CBD Gummies
- When heating the mixture, don’t let it reach the boiling point of 212 degrees Fahreinheit. Doing this could impact the efficacy of the CBD and also affect the taste of the final product.
- Put your gummy molds on a cookie sheet or baking pan before pouring the mixture into them. This will make it easier to transfer the molds to the refrigerator or freezer after you’ve filled the molds.
- If you don’t already have an easy way of transferring the mixture to the molds, a ziplock plastic bag with the corner cut works well as a makeshift piping bag.
- If you’re using CBD oil to make your gummies, we recommend using a product that uses coconut MCT oil as the carrier oil. It’s ideal for absorption as well as flavor.
- We recommend storing your CBD gummies in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. Your choice of refrigerator or freezer depends on how long you want to store them and your desired texture.